Sunday, March 16, 2014

Chip's Elbow

My friend Chip and his wife own this pretty point that pokes into the Long Reach separating Singleton from Red Horse Lake. I do not know if there is an official name for this point but I suspect it has many - all different. This is the name that I use. The view is looking northwestward across the shallow waters of the point. I found the rocks with my canoe. Even a very light carbon canoe has some draft and will not clear all of the hidden obstacles. The sound of Canadian Shield scratching the bottom of my craft always makes me grimace.
I like the way that the red cedars and white pine thrust into the sky. I keep inventing new ways to capture the effect of the back lighting while keeping my colours clean. These techniques may not always be successful but they are always fun. This small canvas has a lot of tooth and it grabbed the thick paint and held on tight.

No comments: