Friday, January 31, 2014

Yellow Waterlily

The yellow waterlily in the painting is actually a "nuphar pumila". Don't be impressed as I had to look it up. Nuphar species occur in ponds, lakes, and slow-moving rivers, growing in water up to 5 metres deep; different species show adaptation to either nutrient-rich waters (e.g. N. lutea) or nutrient-poor waters (e.g. N. pumila). I would have thought that Singleton Lake was nutrient rich. Maybe that is a good thing though indicating that the water quality is actually good and not "enriched" by effluence from people or septic fields.
Lily pads are still my favourite. I plan to paint some more... on those days that are too cold to paint outside. The afternoon sun was from my right when I was out in the canoe on this particular day.

By the way, Sunday is February 2nd and thus Ground Hog Day. It is unlikely that Singleton Phil will see his shadow even after he digs out his burrow. That means there will be 6 more weeks of this winter - otherwise spring is almost here with only a month and a half of winter left!

No comments: