Saturday, May 11, 2013

Warm Frontal Rain


Warm frontal rain ... on the way. It rhymes. The early morning gravity waves (#1287) in the layer of moisture above the cold conveyor belt vanished in a matter of minutes. The low cloud departure revealed the approaching cirrostratus wisps riding the upper reaches of the warm conveyor belt approaching from the southwest. I reached for another canvas and this is what resulted. The cirrus wisps to the north appeared to pull toward the northeast. Simultaneously the cirrus wisps to the south pulled toward the southeast. The col or saddle point in the approaching deformation zone was clearly aligned to pass nearby Singleton. The deformation zone is a skin that is the leading edge of the warmer and more moist air originating from the Gulf of Mexico. The darker cloud lower on the horizon were the based of the altostratus cloud which would be followed by even darker nimbostratus and rain. The sky is never boring to record in pigment! It started to rain at 2:30 pm local time.

The sounds of spring kept me company. There were a few biting insects but nothing too bad to drive me inside. My Avian Air Force protected me - the tree swallows were buzzing my easel like they were on strafing runs. I think one flew between my legs but it happened so fast that I wasn't certain. I was busy painting.

Oils on light cobalt/ultramarine blue oil tinted foundation on commercial canvas. - 8 X 10 (inches)

No comments: