Thursday, January 3, 2013

Singleton Sunrise-2013

The sunrise on the altocumulus was brilliant. It is challenging to do justice to the colours in the sky. The stable warm frontal layer was a bountiful producer of gravity waves. There were a couple of different wind directions producing their own set of gravity waves perpendicular to their average wind direction through the cloud depth.
I put the year in the title of the painting because I intend to paint a lot of sunrises. I also brightened up my palette - maybe that is a New Year's Resolution. It was easy to see bright colours in the sunrise with the sun setting the clouds on fire.
 
 

1 comment:

Aleta Karstad said...

Awesome, Phil! I love the rhythms - and the contrast between the flaming, glowing sky and the dark, snow-covered land.