Thursday, April 7, 2011

Mighty Oak

This is a huge red oak tree on the north side of the provincially significant wetland abutting our building site. My outstretched arms do not even reach half way around this mighty tree. There is abundant scat at the base of this tree from the animals that have used it for food and refuge. This fertilizer has probably helped it reach its enormous girth. It is also surrounded by a defence of prickly ash making it difficult to reach without being scratched.

It was a cool spring day with brisk northerly winds. I was painting looking southerly with the wind on my back but the sun occasionally in my face when it broke through the turbulent stratocumulus cloud. The temperature was supposed to be plus 8 Celsius but it felt cooler! This was my first plein air painting since October. Home building can really occupy your time!

No comments: