Wednesday, September 23, 2009

August Turbulent Stratocumulus

A cold front passed by Watershed Farm near dawn. There were a few hours of showers and then the typical clearing with brisk northwesterly winds. The air was cooler and drier. The gusty winds lifted the moisture to condensation and streets of turbulent stratocumulus parallel to the mean wind direction in the planetary boundary layer results. As I was painting, the clouds became flatter topped and more blue sky appeared between the cloud streets. The air was almost cool and the geese and blue jays were talking like fall had already arrived. I think this is a powerful painting inspired by the moment.
I stood on the front hill of Watershed Farm looking northeastward almost perpendicular to the cloud streets. I had to stake down my easel with my tent cord and a spare brush.

No comments: