Thursday, November 20, 2008

Flagged Pines on Green (A) Island




I set up at noon looking easterly at the up river end of the neighbouring island. The pines trees were all flagged by the wind and were to be the subject matter of the painting. It is said that the trees looked the same way today as they did in photos from fifty years ago.
It got windier as the afternoon progressed. Tree swallows kept me company and flew within inches on my face. They landed frequently on my painting. They even mated once while perched on the easel. The osprey mated a few times at the top of the tree on the extreme southwest end of the island. I included them very subtlety in the painting. Canada geese were nesting on both islands and took exception to me arriving but soon got used to my presence.

No comments: